Elvis is King(?)

People's collective memory really is short. Once again on my journey across the internet I stumbled across another topic that gets my goat. Just by reading this, one would probably tend to get the impression that I'm really this hyper, pro-ethnicity back to the motherland kind of God is black people. I'm really not though. What I am though is irritated with society's need to forget that black people are a large part of this country's history. I was reading http://www.catandgirl.com/ and I found it funny that the Cat had no idea that Blondie's "Rapture" song was the first to include rapping and that Marty McFly created Rock 'N Roll. I have this ongoing debate with Sarah that Black people have spearheaded every large music movement in history short of bluegrass and Country. Maybe some others too but, for the most part each movement can more or less be tracked back to us. And no one remembers. Hearing that reminds me of an instance when a friend's girlfriend asked why my cousin and another friend were making fun of her people when they were mock breakdancing. She was Asian. Here, let me say that again. The Asian girl asked why a couple of Black guys (well Durand is Puerto Rican, which we give him shit for all the time; Puerto Rico, Puerto Rico, Puerto Rico) were making fun of Asians because they "created" breakdancing. She was born after 1980 so it's a little understandable that she would not know where it's roots, but come on. Turbo and Ozone are turning over in their graves(are they still alive?). Now it's all Asian boys doing windmills and white boys rocking out on guitars and that's fine. I like the idea of everyone getting involved and showing a different take. It's cool to listen to the music in Cowboy BeBop to hear the Japanese take on jazz and blues. What irritates me more than anything else are the people that created these cultural phenomenons. It really upsets me that we are such a throw away people. What about all the barriers we broke? What about the Harlem renaissance? Why did we spend years building ourselves up only to let ourselves go. Isn't there anything left in us other than rap. What happened to being able to play an instrument or caring a tune? Why is there only 50 cent and R Kelly? I want some answers! Nicole Simpson can't rap, this whole court is out of order! But you know it's not even that rap isn't a valid movement. But when people who can't still are able to make it and influence the genre, wtf? I remember when real MC's would get on the mic and shut down the lame-o's. But nobody buys their albums because their rims aren't spinin' and all their hoe's are in the same area code.Shazam and abracdabra, change this wacky world back the way I remember.

No comments: