Do they know it's Wonderland?

I like to go to the "submit your ad" page on the http://www.dacafe.org/photograph/ site and check out all the Japanese photographers. I was checking out http://clover.petit.cc/ when I came across a picture under daily life. It was a picture of a stamp of all things and it was of a Gundam. On a stamp. Granted, I've never really been into Gundam but I still acknowledge the coolness (or dork-dom) of them. I mean who doesn't want a giant mech suit that can kick all other mech suits' collective asses all at the same time. Which leads me to ask- do the Japanese understand that they live in Cool world. I mean besides the sometimes corny acting and a few terrible J-Pop bands. I wonder if they wake up and are just like "Ok, it's time to get into my incredibly fast Honda Civic and drift down winding streets with blooming Sakura trees all the way to school so that I can get into a huge brawl with the "toughs" with their uniforms all open and yelling the name of special techniques with the school girls with the leg warmers cheering in the background and topping the night off with the girl of my dreams dumping me and me saying "Orro" with swirls for eyes?" Maybe that's the skewed view that most Americans who like that shit have but I just wonder how they deal with being bombarded with all of it. I know how I feel about being bombarded with the one thing Americans never seem to get enough of- Celebrities! And for me it sure ain't no Wonderland. More like D'Oh-erland. Wait did that make any sense. Ah, who the hell cares anyways?

No comments: