While I was away

This is going to be a long one so you might want to get some snacks. Thousands of years ago, there was a boy who typed a post with crinkled hands; many were killed and there was much defecating. Okay, so I'm a little behind with my posting. I figured I'd start with our departure from our last apartment. The original game plan was for Sarah and I to find an apartment in Emporia so she could attend the Psychology master's program there. In an effort to save some cash-olla, her mother suggested we move home for the few summer months until we were prepared to move. In June, Sarah was given an opportunity to travel to Liverpool for three weeks and study. Obviously it wasn't all work as here she is with friends Elisa ad Holly aboard the Magical Mystery Tour Bus. That movie is F'ed up, by the way. While she was away I discovered a little game named Guitar Hero. And now I'm a rocker, hard core. Can you imagine me in Sarah's mother's basement with my little plastic guitar rocking out to John The Fisherman? Yeah... Pretty sad. And I don't care; that game is fun. Well, she returned and life went on as usual. I had a bit of an itch to return to school and enrolled in the carpentry program at the Wichita Area Technical College. Sarah began commuting to Emporia three times a week. Happy to be doing something with my hands, I set out to learn a trade. During this semester I learned to frame a house.
I also learned the sweet pain of hammering my fingers, working in the blistering heat and being brained by a piece of scaffolding. The hardest part though had to be the hours. Up at 6:30am and at school and work till 8:00pm five days a week with ten hour Saturdays at work for the first eight weeks. Ungodly, but I fought my way through. The suck part about it though is that I had to fight with my job in order to be able to cut my hours so drastically so I could attend the classes. But of course, the school decides to change the schedule and now I am unable to return to the program because even if my job would allow me to cut my hours even more, I would lose my benefits. And what good would it do to take a construction course without any heath insurance? Imagine if I really got hurt. So the school itself kind of screwed me out of returning. I really wanted to attend this portion because we would have been focusing on interiors and that is what I really wanted to learn. I could return in the fall maybe but we would begin on a new house and then I would just learn the same thing over. Pointless. But that was the school front for me. Sarah made hour long runs to and from Emporia to attend her classes three times a week. She also took on a temporary secretarial position with her Trio program directors. But they fired her because of her sass-back. Not really.
There were also many huge changes, such as both my sisters moving to California and two of my friends getting married.
Kelly and Megan tied the knot and we all gasped at the idea that there was a girl that finally did not run from Kelly. She seems to understand his dumbass, which is really awesome. We wish them all the best. Except Mark, who went a little crazy from all the sugar intake at the reception. He's got the crazy eyes. Good times.
Todd got married too but under the radar. We still have yet to meet her. I also have yet to kick his ass at some Virtua Fighter too. What foo!
Christmas just kind of came and went. My mother and Christina left half way though the day to stake out some prime real estate for the the big move. I received some boss gifts and even snagged some fun pictures:

I caught this picture of Murdock in her titanic battle with a box that seem determined to devour her. Fight Murdock, Fight! To The death! To The Bloody End!


Sarah's father has an ongoing war with his daughters to see who can give the worst gift. I'm not sure but I think I may have been drafted. This picture just screams Rex-Kwon-Do.



I love the face I'm making in this picture. It's so bad. You can just see the wisdom of a man in it.
We just returned from California on Sunday. We moved Emily and Christina there this last week. Emily will work at a flagship Borders store and Christina will attend a Masters program at a college that I don't remember it's name. But it's what she's been looking forward to for some time now, and I'm glad she's pursuing it headfirst. Kinda sucks to be without both siblings though.
Just one was bad enough but now both. But I'm happy for them all the same. We drove up to Chicago to load Emily's shit up and turned around and came back the next day. Ten hour drive both ways, ugh. But I got to see Southside Chicago, which doesn't appear too often in movies and TV shows. Wow. But even still, it was pretty cool. We arrived pretty early so we finished up packing, visited Mike and Ryan and crashed for the night. I finally met her boyfriend Charles, who was pretty cool. The next morning we loaded up and moved on out.
Gross weather all the way home. Parts of Iowa had fog so thick you could barely see in front of you. It was like driving though Silent Hill, the fog was so thick. Creepy. We got home Monday night, rested and loaded Christina's stuff on Tuesday and left first thing Wednesday.

Ahh, road trips. Big, yellow moving trucks, fast food, and scary hotel rooms. Always up for a good road trip. The trip home was the best part though. We had to make three connecting flights in one day. We had to fly to Los Angeles from San Francisco first. Having only flown before 9/11 I had no idea about the security procedures. Our flight from San Francisco to LA was delayed 45 minutes. We only had an hour layover, so Sarah and I were a little concerned but stayed cool. That is until we landed at LAX. The Terminal they dropped us at was on the opposite side of where we needed to be. We wondered for a while looking for a way to get to it as precious seconds passed by. We finally asked for directions and were told we need to catch a shuttle, which we did. But once again, time was stolen as we had to pass through security a second time. We had to literally run to the gate and when we arrived and boarded, we found we were the last ones to make it. We couldn't sit together and I ended up between two "earthly" smelling men who slept the whole fight. But at least they didn't talk across me. I hate that. We landed in Phoenix on time and had plenty of time to grab a small pizza and some drinks and board our last flight to Wichita. Upon arriving though, we found out the hard way once again that nothing can ever be so simple.

We waited at the baggage claim, watching the same suitcases go around and around, without ever seeing our own. We checked with the front desk and were told they never made it from Phoenix. We had to go to Wal-Mart at 12am to get new toothbrushes and deodorant for the following work day.


And here we are now, with the biggest news. I finally did the right thing and asked Sarah to marry me. After five years. Oh, yeah, and she said yes... who wouldn't want to spend the rest of their lives with this guy...

Rock

No comments: